Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Family reunions

This is a super long post. Sorry!!
On Saturday the 13th Alex and his brother Andy rode in the Tour de Cure in Brigham City. It was kind of a stinky day for them. Let me explain. So they got up early in the morning and headed off. About 30 minutes before the race Alex called telling me he had forgotten his shoes and helmet. So Kade and I cruised out there to take him his things. They crossed the starting line just so they could start the race and I met them a little bit into the race. Right as I pulled up Alex got a flat. They fixed it and took off. He got another flat about 30 miles into it. Then at about 60 miles Alex started getting some back pain and it got worse and worse until his right side of his body was all numb and his back was really hurting. He couldn't ride anymore so they medical guys took him back to the start. I went and got him so his brother could finish his race. Fun day huh? :) Poor Alex. His back is doing better now though, thanks for asking. ha! :)

So Sunday evening to the cabin we went. It was a fun few days hanging out with the Skeltons. Tiff planned lots of fun activities for the kiddos. Man she is awesome! Monday Alex and Bryan played baseball with the kids and it was so fun to watch! I even went up to bat a few times. I think all the moms did at least once. Fun fun. There were some plumbers there fixing the main water line or something while we were there so we didn't have water for a few hours on Monday but it wasn't too bad. On Tuesday they were digging a hole under the house and there was a lot of exhaust from their equipment filling the house so we headed to the lake. The kids had a blast and Kade slept! Kade was a super good baby on the trip! The first couple days he didn't sleep the greatest during they day. Still good at night he just didn't nap too well. There was a lot going on with 11 other kids running around. He was too excited to sleep I guess. I thought he would have been more fussy but he was really good considering we were away from home for so long.

I just thought this was a cute picture of Asher and Tensley playing together at the beach.Alex playing in the sand with the kiddos.

Alex won reddi whip in the family raffle. He is obsessed! Our cut little Kader!
We got home Wednesday, did laundry and re-packed then we headed out again Thursday morning. My mom's family reunion was in McCall Idaho. It was a lot of fun to be with everyone and see cousins I hadn't seen in a very long time. It rained most of the time we were up there but McCall is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen! The drive was gorgeous! We had a lodge right off the lake so the beach was in the back yard. There were some canoes that everyone had a lot of fun with. My cousin brought this silly game called Quelf and it is so fun! They have funny rules that you have to obey the whole game. I guess you would have to play it to know ha! It was about at 7.5 hour drive each way and Kade did awesome! I pumped and then climbed in the back seat and fed him a bottle. It worked wonderfully and we didn't have to pull over to feed him. He was happy the whole time but extra happy when he got to get out of the car.
We let Kade sit in the pool for a second with my cousin Abby but he didn't like it soo much. Not as warm as the tub right Kade?This is that silly game I was telling you about. I had to move my marker with my elbow the whole time and Alex had to keep his right hand on his knee and point at the closest wall with his left hand whenever it wasn't his turn. My cousin had to excuse himself to the bathroom and stay there until someone came to find him. It really is such a crazy game and I think we need to make the investment. :)
Our family in front of a waterfall on our hike. It was killer! I almost died! I know I am a wimp!


Kade has found his favorite blankie. He loves it so much he always holds on to it and pulls it up to his face. I think its cute.

Still reading?!?! :)

Well this is a quick catch up post and its probably getting rather boring. I will say the most eventful part of the Paulsen reunion was my Grandpa feeding Kade a sucker!! I will admit it was a LITTLE cute seeing him lick that sucker but I was really upset that my Grandpa just stuck candy in a 2 month old baby's mouth. He knows better he just likes to urk people and get a reaction I suppose. I know it won't kill Kade but it still made me pretty mad. You don't just go around sticking food in babies mouths! After I got after him he told me that he never wanted to see me breastfeeding Kade again because breast milk is 80 percent garbage anyways. Whatever Grandpa! Kade was up ALL night. I think it was partly because he was done with vacations and ready to be home but I am also pretty sure it had something to do with the sugar. It wasn't much but it doesn't take a lot to get a baby wired. He is used to eating mommy's milk!

Alex was so proud of what he calls his "half man beard" that he grew while we were gone so here is the proof. Such a silly boy!Such a goof! He never has a real smile for the camera! I honestly have no idea what he is doing with his hand on his nose and he probably doesn't either.

Ok I swear I am almost done. Quick Fathers Day mushy goo.
It has been so fun to see the kind of Dad Alex is to Kade. He always runs in the door from work and says "Where's my boy!?" He loves Kade so so much, probably more than any other dad out there. :) He is so sweet with him and plays with him all the time. Its cute to hear the conversations they have. (Kade is becoming a little jabber mouth and its the cutest! I shouldn't expect anything less than lots and lots of talking from my own child right??) Anyways Alex is a fabulous Dad and husband. He is always looking for ways and asking about things he could do to help and to be a better Dad. Although he is already more than perfect!!! He works so so hard to provide for our family and he never stops doing more and more for us. Thanks Alex I love you! Happy late Fathers Day!

My dad is an incredible example to me! He was so consistent in family night, scripture study, family prayers and everything like that. Honestly I can't remember much about what we learned or the scriptures we read but every night after we read by dad would talk briefly about the scripture and the most important lesson I learned was that my Dad had a testimony of the scriptures. Those of you who know my Dad know that he has a very very strong desire to do whats right and he never stops working at it. I don't think I have ever heard my Dad say a bad thing about anyone. He always has something positive to say about EVERYBONE!! Thanks Dad I love you!

I have a very amazing Father in Law. He taught Alex so many things not only by teaching but mostly through example. He loved to be with his kids and took them on lots and lots of outings. He taught Alex his passion for biking with all the rides he took the boys on every Saturday. He also taught Alex the importance of service. Alex says he remembers lots of times riding his bike to the homes of widows and visiting with them for hours because his Dad knew they needed someone to talk to. His Dad suffered a lot of pain in his life yet he pushed through it with a happy face and still worked so hard. Everyone who knows David Skelton will tell you he was always working really hard! He had a brilliant mind! He is one incredible person and we miss him lots. Thanks for being such a great Father to Alex. We love you!!!

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

I bet you are glad to finally be home! That is hilarious about the sucker (I would have been mad too by the way). I amazes me how many people have tried (some of them successfully) to feed my babies things over the years. My favorite was a guy in our old ward feeding Liah ICE CREAM at five months!!! Yeah, she got really sick. Gotta love people with good intentions but no common sense ;)

Shay said...

Awww I love the pic of you and your dad! I miss Mr. T!

cindave said...

good to know where you were when we were wondering if your silver car was ever coming back! :) looks like you had fun.

Jessica said...

Fun times! I think I am going to have to invest in that game too! Let's get together for lunch sometime soon!

Wood Fam said...

i love the picture of Kade with his blankie! So cute. Sounds like you had a fun time at the reunions. good post!