Tuesday, October 21, 2008

On Occasion . . .


There are certain "mormonisms" if you will that have the tendency to leave a sour taste in your mouth, either from sheer abundance and overuse or . . . well that's all. Hence the reason you can find most of them in certain mormon movies. If you notice 98 percent of them are actually true, even though we continue to exert our efforts to mock them. On occasion I find this one in particular to be true, painful as it is to vocalize. "Look at the bigger picture", or "eternal perspective", there are different versions, but I am sure you get it.
The word remember is frequenced so much in the gospel because said Pres. Eyring, He knew we would forget that "big picture". Yesterday I almost completely forgot. I did however remember how cheap and unfair this mortal test can be. . .
I also remembered on a quiet hill named golgotha there were covenants perfected, standards kept, promises fulfilled, and a Gethsemane visited twice, in a sort of reverenced understanding without complaint, and how my seemingly harsh lynchings were but dross, and really not that bad when all is said and done, in comparison to the seething hell that was placed upon the shoulders of him who is the "finisher of our faith." Looking, on occasion at the big picture, really can make a difference, and if I can maybe remember some part of that miracle at least once a day, somehow I will come out of the Lord's furnace a bit brighter than yesterday.
All of these daily events, comings and goings, who is better than who, who thinks they have more power than they really do, who has more toys, who can complain more, which guy would be better to run our country into the dirt, who gets the bigger paycheck ETC.
ALL will fade into a simple background as we kneel and account for our actions, and our heart, before our Judge. It is my job to see that moment accomplished purely and with an unshakable testimony, no matter how hard my Gethsemane "seems" at the time and in the moment, just as the Master did I need to be ready and willing to fight as Elder Maxwell put it "in the shade of circumstance" and not to be a "summer soldier and sunshine patriot."

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

You are right, but my experience says that as inconsequential as these daily hells may be in "the big picture", they are still hard, and they still hurt. I am sorry it was such a bad day.

Anonymous said...

Our daily struggles may seem inconsequential and/or insignificant, but I think our Savior doesn't see them that way. And while I think there is such a thing to overdo it, I don't think it offends anyone to let yourself feel that. We all have moments of grief and in comparison to the Atonement of the Savior, they are pretty small, but they are often the biggest moments of despair our mere mortal beings can carry. If you need someone to talk to, let me know if I can be of assistance. I'm sorry you're having a hard time. I love you guys.

cindave said...

i needed those thoughts. thank you. and i also agree with the previous comments. although our trials do seem so small sometimes, heavenly father knows they are not small to us. but to keep our eye on the "big picture" is a huge weakness that we have as humans, and can be such a help in relation to our attitudes and perspectives. thanks.

cskelton said...

Oh, Alex, just keep your testimony growing strong. We will all make it through these horrible trials we are experiencing right now. Keeping the beliefs and convictions that you have now and growing them is all that can help. Take time to go to the Temple before the car goes.

Anonymous said...

I liked it Alex. Just don't go off the deep end politically and you won't go to hell with me.

Andy and Laura said...

And how am I not on your friends I family list? I even have two blogs! besides the point, most Mormon movies are sour, it seems the anything for money idea is plague -like in our culture. the big picture is vital when our picture frames are sheltered in glass darkly. We are all in this together, but our individual straight and narrow path, absolutely must follow the one Christ walked and therefore pass through gethsemane, and there the big picture is very hard to see on those very very bad days. I am grateful for a fantastic family that can look at the picture inside my tiny frame and add some perspective. Well stated, and that is one of my favorite Gethsemane paintings.